Purpose: To promote the well-being of humanity.
Role: Strategic philanthropic investor.
1. The Foundation strives to follow the commitment to philanthropy and style of operation established by the Founders.
• Low key approach
• Respectful leadership
• Small staff of exceptional quality, low overhead, simple procedures
• Long-term partnerships with and general support of institutions
• Responsibility to support the greater Bay Area and California community
2. The Foundation focuses on the most serious problems facing society where risk capital, responsibly invested, may make a difference over time and on sustaining and improving institutions making positive contributions to society.
• Grantmaking has clearly defined focus areas
• Grantmaking is pragmatic and non-ideological
• Grants support a wide variety of organizations
3. The Foundation strives to maximize the effectiveness of its support.
• Collaboration with others
• Support of independent non-partisan policy research, analysis, and policy advocacy within allowable limits
• Long-term support
• General operating support
• Outcome-oriented grantmaking
• Self-evaluation of effectiveness
4. The Foundation seeks to encourage giving from other sources and has a stake in encouraging and developing philanthropy generally.
• Leveraging support through matching grants where helpful to grantees
• Collaborating with other foundations
• Supporting efforts to foster and improve philanthropy
5. The Foundation recognizes its position as a partner in problem-solving.
• Helping people help themselves; empowering communities
• Listening to grantees and other stakeholders
6. The Foundation wishes to remain flexible, maintaining the ability to respond to unforeseen circumstances, the evolving needs of society, and emerging opportunities in a timely fashion.
7. The Foundation strives to maintain the highest ethical standards.
• Adhering to the Foundation’s Code of Ethics and related policies.
8. The administration of the Foundation is based on a cooperative working relationship between the Board, the President, and the staff. The President is the leader of the Foundation.